Better health with alkaline pH foods
What is pH?
Before giving you tips on how to make your body's pH more alkaline, let's look at what pH is. pH is the hydrogen potential that lets you measure a solution's acid and base level. You are perhaps already familiar with how to measure the pH of your pool with little strips of paper. We can do the same thing with saliva, blood, and urine.
On the pH scale, results between 0 and 6.9 are acidic, around 7, neutral, and above 7, alkaline.
The human body is 80% alkaline and 20% acidic. We are therefore an alkaline species. For optimum health, some believe our diet should consist mostly of high pH foods. When there is a pH imbalance in the body, illness often progresses more quickly. In fact, illness thrives in acidity, where there is less oxygen (oxygen=alkaline). We should therefore try to eat more alkaline foods and adopt a more alkaline lifestyle.
By giving your body whole foods with a high pH, you detoxify and regenerate cells. That’s why there are alkaline cures and lifestyles that have become quite popular in our society to prevent or stop illness.
To help you better understand the pH of foods, here is a pH scale. I suggest you print it out and stick it on your fridge for reference.
A few tips for a more alkaline pH:
- Eat more GREENS! Anything with chlorophyll is extremely alkaline. Sprouts have the highest pH.
- Take time to breathe and fill up on oxygen. If you look on the pH scale, you’ll find that oxygen comes out on top as the most alkaline. Simply taking a few deep breaths every day can help oxygenate your blood.
- Drink enough water. Make sure to stay well hydrated and stay away from all soft drinks, which are very acidic.
- Fill your diet with 80% alkaline foods and 20% more acidic foods.
- Eat raw fruits and vegetables. Cooking destroys enzymes, dries out food, and makes them more acidic.
- Reduce your intake of animal products. Meat and especially dairy tend to leave traces of mucus, which creates acidity in the body.
- Reduce stress. Since stress is extremely acidifying to our system, it’s important to eliminate excess stress and learn how to handle it better.