If you enjoy making tasty treats for your loved ones, it’s only natural that you like to do the same for your four-legged friend. After all, they’re members of the family! Here are some recipe suggestions that are sure to make your pet wag their tails (or purr away!) with excitement!
Homemade is always better!While there exists a ton of store-bought options, nothing beats homemade pet treats. Store-bought treats often contain a long list of ingredients, some of them unpronounceable. By making your own homemade treats, you can be sure that they don’t contain any preservatives or artificial colours or flavours. Plus, homemade treats are budget-friendly! No need to buy expensive ingredients—most recipes can be made with things you already have on hand.
What to feed your pets?Like humans, dogs are carnivore with omnivore tendencies, meaning they can eat from various food groups. Cats on the other hand are strictly carnivore, which means their source of food should come mainly from meat or fish. Treats can be given to your pets occasionally but should never exceed more than 10% of their daily calorie intake. If they eat too often, your pets could become overweight.
When making homemade treats for your dog or cat, make sure no toxic ingredients are used, such as chocolate, milk, grapes, garlic, or onions. Avocadoes and coffee can also be dangerous for animals. Also make sure to avoid ingredients that contain xylitol, a sugar substitute that is sometimes used to make chewing gum and other candy. Ready to begin? Here are some simple recipes for dog and cat treats that will have your pets begging for more!
Dog treat recipesBanana cookies Prep time: 50 minutes Makes 12 portions Ingredients 2 ripe bananas, mashed 1/4 cup natural peanut butter (no added sugar or salt) 1/2 cup flour 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Combine the bananas with the peanut butter. Stir until mixture is smooth.
- Add the flour, followed by the oats, stirring well after each addition.
- Knead until mixture forms a ball, then place on a floured surface.
- Roll the mixture out until 1/3 of an inch thick. Cut out treats with the cookie cutter of your choice.
- Bake the cookies on a baking sheet for 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Grind the oats in a food processor.
- In a bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, mashed banana, and egg. Stir until mixture is smooth.
- Add the oats and stir until dough forms. On a floured surface, roll the dough out approximately ½ inch thick.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out the treats.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven 15 minutes. Let cool at room temperature, then store in an airtight container.
Cat treat recipesSalmon cookies Prep time: 30 minutes Makes 6 to 8 portions Ingredients 1 can salmon 1 cup whole-wheat flour 1 tbsp. olive oil 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a bowl, combine the flaked salmon, flour, olive oil, and egg.
- On a floured surface, roll the mixture out until approximately 1 inch thick.
- Shape cookies into desired shape. Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven 10 minutes, or until cookies are golden. Let cool and store in the fridge in an airtight container.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Puree the chicken, oats, and egg in a food processor.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl. Add the flour and knead the dough. Roll dough out until approximately 1 inch thick.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut dough out and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.