Barbecues are often associated with food that is high in salt and fat, and full of potentially toxic residue. Here are a few precautions to take as well as some heathy recipes to avoid these drawbacks without making the food boring.
GOOD HABITS FOR A HEALTHY BBQ
- Make sure to always thoroughly clean the BBQ to avoid introducing harmful residue when cooking.
- Choose lean meats and/or trim the fat before grilling it.
- Give BEYOND MEAT or tempeh products a try. They contain very little fat, especially saturated fats, and no cholesterol.
- Include vegetables. They are low in calories but rich in fibre, vitamins and antioxidants. Do you make brochettes? Add healthy, fresh vegetables. Fill foil packets of your favourite vegetables: there are so many ways to prepare them. Use your imagination!
- Season your meat with herbs to give it a fresh, healthy taste.
A HEALTHY BURGER?
You can make this undisputed star of the barbecue more nutritious without compromising on taste! Here are three ideas:
- Use lettuce or kale instead of a bun.
- Replace the mayonnaise with hummus or 0% M.F. plain yogurt flavoured with spices.
- Choose whole grain buns to increase dietary fibre.
- Choose extra-lean meat and make reasonable-sized patties (about 100 g).
- Use your imagination! See recipe below.
BEYOND BURGER WRAPPED IN KALE (2 servings)
Beyond Meat’s famous plant-based patty made its debut at Rachelle Béry in May 2019, just in time for BBQ season! Here is a recipe you can try at home.
- 1 package of 2 Beyond Burger patties (BEYOND MEAT)
- A bunch of kale
- Joe Beef original BBQ sauce
- Riviera lactose-free cheese slices
- Light mayonnaise
- Seasonings, to taste (see NOTES):
- Light up the BBQ.
- Cut 4 kale leaves to the right size to fit your Beyond Burger patties, and place them on your plate.
- Thinly slice onion and tomato.
- Once the BBQ has reached the right temperature, cook the Beyond Burger® patties on the grill for 4 minutes on each side. Do not overcook!
- While patties are still on the grill, place a slice of cheese on each and leave for 5 to 10 seconds longer, then transfer each patty to a kale leaf.
- Garnish with onion, tomato, Joe Beef sauce, light mayonnaise and condiments, and top with another kale leaf.
I hope these tips will help you make healthier choices! But remember, don’t feel guilty if you don’t follow them all. That’s a mistake we often make—summer is a time to get out and enjoy yourself! So, treat yourself from time to time, in moderation, and remember, it’s really about finding the right balance.
On that note, I’d like to wish you a wonderful summer!