By Audrey Sckoropad
Vegan buns that are easy to make? Yes, it is possible! I have a recipe for you that makes any brunch more festive and decadent with perfect buns!
Preparation time : 20 min
Waiting time : 1 hour
Cooking time: 35 min
Portions : 12 brioches
For the dough:
- 3 cups organic all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 1 tbsp. organic cane sugar
- 2 tsp. instant dry yeast
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp. liquid coconut oil
- 1 ½ cups of warm water
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except water and oil. Create a small depression in the middle to add the wet ingredients. Fold the mixture with a silicone spatula until you have a sticky dough ball. On a surface lightly covered with flour, knead the dough a dozen times with a little flour. At the end, the ball should hold together and be soft and slightly sticky. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. In the meantime, prepare the spice mixture and the glaze for the buns.
- ¼ cup maple sugar
- ¼ cup organic brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. cinnamon
- 4 tbsp room temperature vegan butter
In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Reserve butter for later.
- 1 ½ cups organic powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp room temperature vegan butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. oat milk
Using a whisk, mix all ingredients.
- On a floured surface, roll dough into a large rectangle (approximately 18 by 12 inches).
- With a brush or your hands, spread the vegan butter over the entire surface of the dough, leaving 1 inch of butter on the edge of one side. Spread sugar and cinnamon mixture all over, except on the edge without butter.
- Starting with the edge opposite the one without butter, begin rolling the dough into a tight log shape. Cut the roll into 13 1 ½ inch wide pieces.
- With a little coconut oil or vegan butter, grease the edges of a 9 by 9 inch pan so the buns don’t stick. Place the buns in the pan, leaving a little space between them. Cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel to let them double in size. This may take 20 to 60 minutes, depending on the heat and humidity.
- When the buns are ready to bake, bake at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Once the buns have cooled a bit, spread the glaze on them and serve them warm!
- The buns are best served the same day. They can be stored in an airtight dish at room temperature.