Nothing beats a family brunch to celebrate Mother’s Day! My birthday often falls the same day so there’s no getting around it. We don’t do anything extravagant, but we do take advantage of the occasion to get outside and have a family brunch with those nearest and dearest to me—my husband and my children. It’s the best way to celebrate, in my opinion! So, I want to share with you my chia parfait recipe, which is really easy to prepare in advance. Moms will be thrilled to have a breakfast ready when they wake up!
Prep time : 25 min.
Servings : 2
Chia pudding :
- 500 mL (2 cups) coconut milk yogurt (I recommend Riviera’s vanilla Coconut Milk Vegan Delight)
- 125 mL (½ cup) coconut milk
- 125 mL (½ cup) whole chia seeds
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) maple syrup
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
Put all the ingredients into a jar with a lid. Mix well before closing the lid: Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
Homemade jam :
- 500 mL (2 cups) fresh or frozen strawberries, chopped
- 250 mL (1 cup) raspberries
- 60 mL (4 tbsp.) honey
- 2 mL (½ tsp.) agar-agar flakes
Put all ingredients (except the agar-agar) into a small saucepan and cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally. Bring to a boil and stir some more. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Mix in agar-agar and remove from heat. Transfer to a glass jar. Can be stored in the fridge for a week.
*Agar-agar is derived from a type of seaweed and is used as a gelatin substitute in jams. It helps the fruit mixture gel and creates a wonderful texture. Remember to add it in just at the end of cooking.
To assemble the parfait :
- Take out two large sundae or parfait glasses.
- Put some chia pudding in the bottom of each glass.
- Then, add a layer of jam.
- Next, add a layer of your favourite granola.
- Repeat each step and garnish with some edible flowers or fresh berries for a festive touch..
Happy Mother’s Day!