It’s asparagus season in Quebec! You don’t want to miss out because local asparagus is in season only for a short time, from March to late June or mid-July.
This super veggie is an important source of provitamin A (beta carotene), vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K and chromium Known for its diuretic properties, asparagus helps combat water retention and high blood pressure.
Plus, it’s simply delicious on the BBQ! Here’s my recipe for grilled asparagus with vegan white sauce. I promise this side dish will steal the spotlight at all your summer BBQs! I always cook two bunches—even when it’s just our family, they go faster than hot cakes!
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 bunches Quebec asparagus
- Fleur de sel
- 2 cloves garlic
- A drizzle of cold-pressed olive oil
- 3 tbsp. veganaise
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- Pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup vegan Parmesan
- Preheat BBQ.
- Rinse asparagus and use your hands to snap off the woody stems (the bottom ⅕ of each spear, approximately). Keep the longer ends.
- In a large bowl, mix asparagus with a little olive oil, fleur de sel and minced garlic.
- Spread out asparagus on the grill and cook for 5–8 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Remove asparagus from heat and place on a serving plate.
- To prepare white sauce, mix veganaise, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, parsley, water, salt and pepper. Drizzle sauce over asparagus.
- Top asparagus with vegan Parmesan.