Turnip, pear and chive soup
|Yield : 4 servings||Prep Time : 20 minutes|
|Level : Easy||Cook Time : 35 minutes|
- 15 mL (1 tbsp.) Compliments • Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 French shallots, chopped
- 250 mL (1 cup) cubed peeled turnip
- 250 mL (1 cup) cubed peeled potatoes (about 2 potatoes)
- 1 litre (4 cups) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 250 mL (1 cup) cubed peeled fresh pears (about 2 pears)
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) finely chopped fresh chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Add shallots and sauté for 2 minutes, or until translucent.
Add turnip and potatoes, stirring to coat. Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Add pears and continue cooking for 15 minutes, or until vegetables and pears are tender.
Purée mixture until smooth in a blender or using an immersion blender, thinning with chicken broth if need be.
At serving time, garnish soup with chopped chives and pair with toasted bread rounds.
Variation: If you do not have fresh pears on hand, tinned pears (in light syrup) can be used, drained.
On hot summer days, serve this soup cold. It will be refreshing and just as tasty!