Sweet peppers stuffed with quinoa and vegetables
|Yield : 4 servings||Prep Time: 20 minutes|
|Level : Easy||Cooking Time: 55 minutes|
- 2 large sweet red peppers, halved lengthwise and seeds removed (stems left intact)
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) quinoa
- 15 mL (1 tablespoon) Compliments olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 250 mL (1 cup) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 250 mL (1 cup) cubed zucchini
- 250 mL (1 cup) cubed eggplant
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) drained Compliments corn kernels
- 160 mL (2/3 cup) drained Compliments medium chunky salsa
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) each: oregano and chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) grated Compliments Monterey Jack cheese
Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF). In a large saucepan of boiling water, blanch sweet peppers for 3 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Drain and set aside. Rinse quinoa in cold water and drain. (Rinsing quinoa removes the bitter coating from the seed.) Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
Add quinoa and stir to coat well. Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until liquid is completely absorbed and the grain is tender. Add zucchini, eggplant and corn. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring gently.
Add salsa, oregano and chili powder, and salt to taste. Stir well. Stuff each pepper half with quinoa mixture and place in a lightly oiled ovenproof dish. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until heated through. Grill for 3 minutes to brown cheese. Serve as a side dish for grilled fish.
Variation: Try a variety of grains! Replace quinoa by brown rice or bulgur.
Tip: When you prepare quinoa to serve with a main dish, make extra and freeze. You’ll be a step ahead the next time you make stuffed peppers!