|Yield :16 servings||Prep Time: 45 minutes|
|Level : Easy||Cooking Time:35 minutes|
- 1.5 L (6 cups) peeled, cubed buttercup squash (about one medium squash)
- 1 L (4 cups) peeled, cubed butternut squash (about one small squash)
- 1 L (4 cups) peeled, cubed acorn squash (about one small squash)
- 1 L (4 cups) orange juice
- 180 mL (3/4 cup) white sugar
- 180 mL (3/4 cup) dark brown sugar
- 10 mL (2 teaspoons )vanilla extract
Place squash cubes in a large saucepan and pour in orange juice. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-low heat; allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
Add both sugars and vanilla. Continue cooking over medium heat, uncovered, stirring often to prevent squash from sticking to pan. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until squash is very soft.
- Reduce or increase the amount of orange juice to adjust the consistency to your liking.
- For a smoother compote, purée the mixture in the blender.
Serve hot or cold in pretty dessert cups, along with ginger cookies.
- Add ground ginger, cinnamon, anise or nutmeg for a spicier flavour.
- Replace some of the brown sugar by maple syrup.
- Don’t hesitate to try different varieties of squash! Note that pumpkin tends to produce more liquid than other squash when cooked. The amount of orange juice should thus be decreased.