Pizza with eggplant and other garden vegetables
|Yield : 4 servings||Prep Time : 15 minutes|
|Level : Easy||Cook Time : 30 minutes|
- 45 mL (3 tbsp.) Compliments • Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small Italian eggplant, thinly sliced
- 4 white asparagus spears, halved lengthwise
- 250 mL (1 cup) rapini
- 250 mL (1 cup) grated maroon carrots
- 1 commercial pizza crust, ideally whole wheat
- 60 mL (¼ cup) dried-tomato pesto
- To taste salt and pepper
- 125 mL (½ cup) grated firm tofu
- 250 mL (1 cup) Compliments • Organic Old Cheddar Cheese
- 10–12 leaves fresh basil
- To taste hot oil
PPreheat oven to 200oC (400oF).
Brown eggplant slices in skillet over high heat, in three batches, using 15 mL (1 tablespoon) olive oil each time. Reserve.
Blanch asparagus and rapini. Reserve.
Place pizza dough on a baking sheet. Brush with dried-tomato pesto, except around the edge. Sprinkle on grated carrots and then garnish with eggplant slices; top with asparagus and rapini. Season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle grated tofu and cheese overtop and bake pizza for about 20 minutes. To finish baking, broil until cheese and crust reach desired doneness.
Serve pizza garnished with fresh basil leaves and a splash of hot oil, if desired.
Variation: You can replace the whole-wheat pizza dough by a large round of whole-wheat pita bread.