Wild rice and tropical fruit salad
|Yield : 6 servings||Prep Time : 15 minutes|
|Level : Easy||Cook Time : 45 minutes|
|Maceration : 1 hour|
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) organic wild rice
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) whole-grain brown rice
- 45 mL (3 tablespoons) finely chopped red onion
- 2 kiwis, diced
- 250 mL (1 cup) diced mango
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) finely chopped fresh coriander
- 15 mL (1 tablespoon) Compliments • Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) tropical fruit juice
- juice and zest of one lime
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) Compliments • Organic 100% Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 mL (1/2 teaspoon) hot pepper flakes
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) toasted coconut*
Cook wild rice and brown rice according to package instructions. Allow to cool.
In a large bowl, combine wild rice, brown rice, onion, kiwi, mango, tomato halves and coriander. Reserve.
In a small bowl, blend olive oil, fruit juice, lime juice and zest, maple syrup, and hot pepper flakes. Pour vinaigrette over rice salad and combine. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Sprinkle salad with toasted coconut at serving time and serve as a side dish to grilled meats.
* If you can’t find any pre-toasted coconut flakes, use unsweetened grated coconut, and toast it yourself. To do so, heat a small non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add coconut and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant and lightly toasted.
Variation: Double the vinaigrette recipe and use to marinate white fish or seafood. One recipe, two uses!