|per 1 serving|
|Fat 0.5 g||6 %|
|Saturated 0.5 g
+ Trans 0 g
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 0 mg||1 %|
|Carbohydrates 37 g||12 %|
|Fibres 8 g||4 %|
|Sugars 5 g|
|Protein 5 g|
|Vitamin A||4 %|
|Vitamin C||45 %|
|* DV = daily value|
Barbecue Vegetable Trio
Time required: 40 minutes
|Yield : 4 servings||Prep Time: 15 minutes|
|Level : Easy||Cook Time: 25 minutes|
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 60 mL (¼ cup) parsley, finely chopped
- 5 mL (1 tsp.) fennel seeds, crushed
- juice of one lemon
- 2 mL (½ tsp.) Tabasco-style hot sauce
- 15 mL (1 tbsp.) olive oil
- 16 asparagus stalks, trimmed* (choose asparagus that are not too small)
- 8 slices eggplant, cut about 1 cm (½ in.) thick lengthwise**
- 16 small new potatoes, blanched (boiled for 5 minutes)
- Fleur de sel or coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Soak 12 wood skewers in water for 1 hour.
- Preheat barbecue on high.
- In a large bowl, combine garlic, parsley, fennel seeds, lemon juice, hot sauce and olive oil. Add vegetables and mix until well coated. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Arrange 4 asparagus stalks side-by-side on work surface. Thread first wood skewer sideways through 4 asparagus stalks just under the tip, then thread a second skewer 4 cm (1½ in.) from the base to form a raft shape. Repeat with remaining asparagus.
- Thread 4 new potatoes onto each of the remaining 4 skewers.
- Place asparagus skewers, potato skewers and eggplant slices on the grill and cook
- Asparagus for 5 minutes per side
- Potatoes and eggplant for 8 minutes per side
- Potatoes and eggplant for 8 minutes per side Before serving, sprinkle with fleur de sel or coarse salt and season with ground pepper. Serve as a side dish with grilled fish, chicken or meat.
* To cut asparagus stalks, take each stalk by both ends and bend gently.
The stalk will break in the right spot.
VARIATION: Use the sauce to season barbecued chicken, fish or shrimp.