|Yield : 4 servings||Prep Time: 15 minutes|
|Level : Easy|
- 1 litre (4 cups) baby spinach leaves
- 250 mL (1 cup) watercress
- 1 can (540 ml) lentils, drained and rinsed
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) red onion, thinly sliced
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) frozen green peas, thawed
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) chopped fresh basil
- 45 mL (3 tablespoons) Compliments olive oil
- juice of one lime (about 30 mL / 2 tablespoons)
- freshly ground black pepper
- shavings of spicy Gouda cheese for garnish (use regular or smoked Gouda if spicy kind not available)
In a bowl, combine spinach, watercress, lentils, onion and green peas. Add basil, olive oil and lime juice, and combine.
Divide among 4 serving plates. Season with pepper to taste, and garnish with cheese shavings.
Serve with a chunk of pesto baguette or a slice of country loaf.
- Vary the herbs! Try mint, coriander, sorrel or others.
- Vary the cheese! Try varieties such as sharp cheddar, feta or Monterey Jack.