Asian-style beef stew
Time required: 8 hours and 20 minutes
|Yield : 4 servings||Prep Time: 20 minutes|
|Level : Easy||Cook Time: 8 hours|
- 700 g (1½ lb.) beef stewing cubes
- 15 mL (1 tbsp.) cornstarch
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) oil
- 375 mL (1½ cups) cremini mushrooms, sliced (about a 227-g or 8-oz. package)
- 125 mL (½ cup) sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 125 mL (½ cup) water
- 45 mL (3 tbsp.) rice vinegar
- 15 mL (1 tbsp.) fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 15 mL (1 tbsp.) toasted sesame oil
- 10 mL (2 tsp.) sugar
- 4 green onions, snipped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- To taste, salt and pepper
- 1 L (4 cups) cooked pot barley
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 125 mL (½ cup) milk
- 60 mL (¼ cup) maple syrup
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) ground flaxseed
- 5 mL (1 tsp.) almond extract
- 250 mL (1 cup) raspberries
- 250 mL (1 cup) blueberries
- 60 mL (¼ cup) each of sliced almonds and pecan pieces To taste, vanilla Greek yogurt
- In a large bowl, dredge beef cubes in cornstarch and then season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high and then brown the beef cubes on all sides. Do this in two batches if necessary so the cubes don't touch while cooking.
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and green onion right before serving and accompany with jasmine rice.