Carrot and raisin bran muffins
|Yield : 12 servings||Prep Time :20 minutes|
|Level : Easy||Cook time :25 to 30 minutes|
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) All-Bran cereal
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) brown sugar, not packed
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) ground cinnamon
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) baking powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) baking soda
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp.) salt
- 250 ml (1 cup) raisins
- 250 ml (1 cup) carrots, grated
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) ground flaxseed
- 430 ml (1 3/4 cups) buttermilk or sour cream*
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) nonhydrogenated margarine, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 200˚F (400˚C).
In a large bowl, combine cereal, flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, raisins, carrots and ground flaxseed.
In another bowl, combine buttermilk, melted margarine, and egg.
Stir liquid mixture into dry ingredients only until combined.
Fill a 12 muffin tin lined with paper baking cups.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until muffins are firm to touch and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
*Buttermilk substitute: Combine 410 ml (1 2/3 cups) of milk with 30 ml (2 tbsp.) of lemon juice or white vinegar.
Let stand 10 minutes.
The fibre in fruits, vegetables and whole grain cereal products reduces the level of bad cholesterol, thereby preventing the formation of blood clots in the arteries.