|Yield : 24 muffins||Prep Time : 25 minutes|
|Level : Easy||Cook Time : 30 minutes|
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks or 375 to 500 mL (11/2 to 2 cups) squash purée
- 875 mL (3 ½ cups) rolled oats
- 500 mL (2 cups) whole wheat flour
- 375 mL (11/2 cups) Compliments • Organic 100% Pure Maple Syrup
- 20 mL (4 tsp.) baking powder
- 7 mL (1 ½ tsp.) baking soda
- 2 mL (1/4 tsp.) nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) non-hydrogenated margarine
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) milk
- Zest of one orange
- 5 mL (1 tsp.) vanilla
- 5 mL (1 tsp.) ground ginger
- 500 mL (2 cups) grated carrots
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
In a saucepan, steam squash until tender, and then drain and purée in a blender. Reserve.
In a bowl, stir together rolled oats, whole wheat flour, maple syrup, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg. Reserve.
Beat eggs in a separate bowl. Add 750 mL (3 cups) squash purée, as well as margarine, milk, orange zest, vanilla and ginger. Add carrots and dry ingredients, and stir mixture until well blended.
Pour batter into oiled muffin cups and bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
Allow muffins to cool before removing from pan.
Tip: Squash muffins are ideal for hectic mornings or as a late-afternoon snack. Enjoy with a yogurt drink or a chunk of cheese.