Barley breakfast casserole
Time required: 45 minutes
|Yield : 8 servings||Prep Time: 15 minutes|
|Level : Easy||Cook Time: 30 minutes|
- 1 L (4 cups) cooked pot barley
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 125 mL (½ cup) milk
- 60 mL (¼ cup) maple syrup
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) ground flaxseed
- 5 mL (1 tsp.) almond extract
- 250 mL (1 cup) raspberries
- 250 mL (1 cup) blueberries
- 60 mL (¼ cup) each of sliced almonds and pecan pieces To taste, vanilla Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Mix together the barley, eggs, milk, maple syrup, flaxseed, and almond extract in a large bowl. Add raspberries and combine gently.
- Pour mixture into a 34 cm x 23 cm (13 in. x 9 in.) greased baking dish. Top with blueberries, almonds, and pecans.
- Bake about 30 minutes.
- To serve, garnish with a spoonful of Greek yogurt.
Chef's secret: For practical individual servings, divide the mixture into small greased ramekins before baking them in the oven.