Almond-pecan beverage with dates and honey
Time required: 8 hours 15 minutes
|Yield : 1 L (4 cups)||Prep Time: 15 minutes|
|Level : Easy||Soaking time: 8 hours|
- 175 mL (¾ cup) each of raw almonds and pecans
- 1 L (4 cups) room-temperature water
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) ground chia seed
- 6 pitted dates
- 15 mL (1 tbsp.) honey
- 2.5 mL (½ tsp.) vanilla extract (or the seeds of 1 vanilla bean)
- 2.5 mL (½ tsp.) ground cinnamon
- Soak the almonds and pecans in a large bowl of cold water for 8 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. Drain, discard soaking water, and rinse nuts well.
- Combine the almonds, pecans, room-temperature water, and ground chia seed in a blender. Blend until the nuts are completely ground and the liquid is white and opaque.
- Filter the mixture through a sieve lined with 3 layers of cheesecloth placed over a large bowl.
- Form a bundle with the cheese cloth and squeeze remaining pulp well to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Pour the liquid into the blender along with the dates, honey, vanilla, and cinnamon. Blend until beverage is smooth.
Chef's secret: For a bit of zing, add some freshly squeezed orange or clementine juice.
Storage: This beverage will keep in the fridge for 2 or 3 days in an airtight glass container (for mazimum freshness). Always stir well before serving.