Crunchy french toast with maple-banana purée
Time required: 35 minutes
|Yield : 6 servings||Prep Time: 15 minutes|
|Level : Easy||Cook Time: 20 minutes|
Crunchy French toast
- 2 eggs 250 mL (1 cup) milk
- 15 mL (1 tbsp.) maple sugar
- 175 mL (¾ cup) quick-cooking rolled oats
- 125 mL (½ cup) unsweetened coconut flakes
- 75 mL (¼ cup) wheat germ
- 6 slices of crusty, whole grain bread about 2 cm (½ in.) thick
- 60 mL (¼ cup) maple syrup
- 3 fully ripe bananas, sliced into rounds
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
- 60 mL (¼ cup) 15% M.F. cooking cream
- Preheat the oven to 375°C (190°F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, and maple sugar in a bowl. Set aside. In another bowl, combine the rolled oats, coconut flakes, and wheat germ..
- Soak each slice of bread in the egg mixture 1 minute per side. Next dip them in the oat mixture so both sides are well coated.
- Place on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, turning at the halfway point.
- In a saucepan, heat maple syrup over medium-high heat until it begins to caramelize, about 5 minutes. Add bananas and lemon juice and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add cream. Purée mixture with a hand mixer. Serve warm with French toast.